Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Embassy Interview

While I was in Athens for the UNREALTIME exhibition, one of the sponsors, the U.S. Embassy, arranged for a short interview that I totally forgot about until someone brought it to my attention yesterday. The short interview is here (I like that it's short as it requires me to say what I want to say as a kind of soundbite whereas an interview like the one with Rhizome required quite a bit of extended articulation).

Here is an excerpt from the embassy interview:
Q: Where do you get your inspiration from?

A: Mostly from experimental novels and film. For example, I love the films of Chris Marker, Agnes Varda, and Jean-Luc Godard. And since I started my career as a published novelist, some of my best friends are the most interesting writers of our time. My interactions with them always trigger new ideas for me.

Q: What is the role of today's technology in forming tomorrow's art?

A: Everything is still in development and you must be open to change. For example, my latest project Immobilité, now on exhibit at EMST, is a feature-length film shot entirely on mobile phone. This kind of complex work of art would have been totally impossible even five or six years ago. Of course, just because technology enables us to advance the forms of creative expression does not mean that it will also automatically lead to important works of art. You still must develop a core practice and aesthetic strategy over time.

Metadata: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home