Thursday, December 17, 2015

Glitch Ontology (A Limited Edition Artist Book)


It gives me great pleasure to announce the launch of Glitch Ontology, a custom-made, limited edition artist book co-produced with the Upfor Gallery and fabricated in collaboration with Publication Studio.

[If you want to skip right to the book site, click here]

Lucky for me, both Theo Downes-Le Guin, Director of Upfor, and Antonia Pinter at Publication Studio, operate in my neighborhood in Portland, a wonderful city where I have spent the last seven summers. Co-producing the book with Upfor has been a pleasure. I have always been impressed with the exhibition schedule that Theo curates in the gallery, particularly the adventurous new media, net art, and video work produced by the artists they feature. I've seen groundbreaking videos, net art and gorgeous (even when conceptual) print work exhibited by Frances Stark, Ryan Trecartin, Katie Torn, Brenna Murphy and Birch Cooper, Jack Featherly,and a fantastic group show curated by Roddy Schrock of Eyebeam.

My time in Portland is always super-productive: I've created a lot of new art including Museum of Glitch Aesthetics, Crapshoot and the series of short glitch videos I premiered at the Denver International Airport. Portland has also been the perfect environment for my writing to evolve in. I spent a lot of time in Portland's world-class coffee shops working on both remixthebook and Locus Solus: An Inappropriate Translation Composed in a 21st Century Manner...and have also started and/or finished four more books too.

For those who follow my work, you know that I've published over ten books of fiction or new media theory, all of which are still in print. A few of these books are available for free as e-books too. My early online publishing network, Alt-X, founded in 1993, was one of the first serious literary websites to launch both an e-book and print-on-demand book series. Publications like the New York Times, Wired and Spin - to just name a few - wrote about our various product launches.

Anyone who knows how I roll knows that I have always been open to the idea of experimenting with both the form of the book (think Mallarmé) as well as its distribution potential. The same holds true with Glitch Ontology. You can read it for free via a link at the Upfor website, but given this particular artwork's focus on glitch images and the book as art object, why not own a rare Mark Amerika artist book?



Keywords: Mark Amerika, Upfor, Publication Studio, artist book, Glitch Ontology



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home